Do you have a little one at home who loves to read? We at HarperClassroom know how difficult it can be to decide on the right gift for your special bookworm. So here’s a list of books and book-related gifts that are sure to delight even the pickiest of young readers this holiday season!
1. Pete the Cat and his Magic Sunglasses & Pete the Cat plush doll: Everyone knows and loves Pete the Cat–he’s the coolest, grooviest, blue cat around. In his newest adventure, Pete the Cat wakes up grumpy, but with the help of his magic sunglasses he gets his good mood back! You can have Pete the Cat join you for story time with a cuddly Pete the Cat plush doll. So snuggle up with Pete the Cat and get ready for a magical adventure. (Magic sunglasses not included.)
2. Tap the Magic Tree by Christie Matheson: The holidays are about spending time with family and friends, and appreciating all of the wonderful things about life . . . like reading! There is magic in every tree, but sometimes they need your help to grow. This interactive book is perfect for story time and encourages young readers to take notice of the magic all around them. See the magic here in this book trailer.
3. The Best Lowly Worm Book Ever by Richard Scarry: If you’re looking for book-related gifts for your family then it’s probably safe to assume you’re also a reader. In that case, there is no need to explain why this “newly unearthed” Richard Scarry story is the perfect gift this holiday season. Packed with charm and humour, The Best Lowly Worm Book Ever will delight children and the adults who grew up with Richard Scarry . Also a perfect gift for your favourite teacher.
4. The Paper Dolls by Julia Donaldson and Rebecca Cobb: The perfect story for any child with a wild imagination. In this beautifully written story, a string of paper dolls go on an adventure into the garden, where they are threatened by frightening a pair of scissors. A story about the power of the imagination from the bestselling author of The Gruffalo.
5. The Dark by Lemony Snicket and Jon Klassen: The ultimate bedtime story for any child. Lazlo is afraid of the dark and all of the places the dark lurks, including behind the shower curtain but especially in the basement. The Dark is about one little boy who decides to confront his fear and learns an important lesson about being brave. Make sure you get your little reader their own flashlight, because after they read about Lazlo facing down his fear of the dark, they might just need one to face their own!
6. Walking with Dinosaurs Handbook by Calliope Glass & movie passes and popcorn: Now the budding paleontologist in your home can go walking with the dinosaurs with the help of this handbook. With full-colour illustrations and activity guides to help your child learn about dinosaurs, it’s easy to join Patchi and Alex–two unlikely friends from different dinosaur families–on their exciting adventure to find their way back home. The Walking with Dinosaurs Handbook is a perfect companion to the long-awaited 3D-motion picture arriving in theatres later this month (December 2013). You can watch the movie trailer here.
7. Demon Dentist by David Walliams: The brand new middle-grade novel from the author described by The Times (UK) as “[a] new Roald Dahl.” Sure to make you laugh all the way through the holidays, Demon Dentist is the story of a little boy named Alfie who has a big heart and an even bigger fear of the dentist. Imagine his dismay when something sinister starts tampering with the teeth left by children under their pillows at night. (False set of slightly used teeth included with every book… wink)
8. Amelia Bedelia’s First Library Card by Herman Parish & a library card: Generations of children have fallen in love with Amelia Bedelia, and now readers get to see what she was like as a child in this new Amelia Bedelia series. Read all about Amelia’s first trip to the library where she received her first library card. And because Amelia’s excitement is so contagious, make sure you have a library card ready to give your little reader. It’s never too early to give your child the gift of endless reading with their very own library card.
8. Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman: This is an epic adventure story of one dad facing aliens, pirates, vampires, and stegosauruses in a hot-air balloon… or so he says when he returns home from a trip to the store to buy milk. This book is not only a grand adventure but it is also about the importance of a father-child relationship. The perfect book for dads to read with their children this holiday season! Learn more about Dad’s adventure here.
9. House of Secrets by Chris Columbus and Ned Vizzini: The perfect adventure book to get hesitant readers excited this holidays. This is the first book in a thrilling new series written by the director of the first three Harry Potter movies. House of Secrets is sure to get any child who loves adventure to fall in love with reading!
For your teacher: A shiny red apple and peeler. We’re just kidding! But make sure you check in regularly with HarperClassroom for fun book related resources for teachers, parents or just people who love children’s books!
Kate for HarperClassroom