Hello, Savvy Readers! It’s Friday, and finally we have something to be happy about: the weather is sunny and (somewhat, relatively) warm! But springtime is only one of several exciting this that happened this week! To learn more, read on…
1. 50 Book Pledge hits 2,500 readers! A lovely milestone! Other news? If you’re not on social media, you can now sign up for the 50 Book Pledge with your email address! Be sure to share the pledge with all your family and friends not on social media, too. Interested in what other pledge-ers are reading? You can now see what the Top Reads. Check it out, it may help you choose what to read next!
2. Lots of news in movie world. For our YA fans: you can find an exclusive image from the upcoming Divergent movie on EW here. We are beyond excited for this, what do you think of the casting? In other movie news, the wonderful Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson is currently being adapted for the big screen and the first still has been released here. Nicole Kidman is perfect for the role of Christine! It’s always so interesting to see your favourite books adapted into film, isn’t it?
3. The Andrew Carnegie Prize finalists were announced this week. Among the contenders for the Medal for Excellence in Fiction is Richard Ford’s Canada. Another book nominated that we are big fans of is Louise Erdich‘s The Round House. Medals will be awarded on June 30th, as well as $5,000 in prize money for the winner. If you haven’t read these titles, we highly recommend them!
4. Audrey Hepburn is Vanity Fair’s cover girl this month! 20 years after her death and she is still gracing the covers of magazines. Read the article here, and see the photos here. If that isn’t enough of your Hepburn fix, the Globe and Mail wrote a lovely article on the style icon here. Still want more? Pick up Audrey in Rome, which contains nearly 200 candid photos of the impeccably tasteful actress, complied by her son Luca Dotti— it will look great on your coffee table.
5. GSP giveaway! HarperCollins Canada is giving away 4 signed copies of The Way of the Fight by UFC fighter Georges St-Pierre here. All you have to do is tweet! You won’t want to miss this bestseller for readers and UFC fans alike.
That’s it for this week! Enjoy the weather and let us know @SavvyReader what you’re reading this weekend!
Follow me on twitter @megzedd