Good afternoon, Savvy Readers! We hope your short week was a great one! Here at The Savvy Reader we have had a busy four days of books, books and more books (are you surprised?) and can’t wait to share some news with you. Enjoy this week’s edition of Bookmarks and have a great weekend!
1. We love The House Girl by Tara Conklin—so naturally we made it this week’s 50 Book Pledge pick! This powerful story weaves together the lives of two very different women living over a century apart—one, a young lawyer in present day and the other, a slave from 1852. And we’re not the only people who love it, either! Marie Claire predicts it will be THE book-club pick of 2013. Take a look at what they had to say here, or pick up a copy of The House Girl today!
2. Publisher’s Weekly has announced their Most Anticipated Books of Spring 2013, and some great reads have made the list! Among the most buzzed about are The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman, which marks his first book for adults since 2005, and the children’s book The Dark, by Lemony Snicket. For the YA reader, Requiem—the final installment of Lauren Oliver’s Delirium series—will be on sale March 5th. Or if it’s the supernatural that strikes your fancy, both Magician’s End by Raymond E. Feist (the final book in the Chaoswar Saga), and the debut novel by Helene Wecker, The Golem and the Jinni (a favourite in our office!) are featured on PW’s list. Other exciting titles that made the cut are Big Girl Panties by Stephanie Evanovich, Strange Stones: Dispatches from East to West by Peter Hessler, and American Gun: A History of the U.S. in Ten Firearms by Chris Kyle and William Doyle.
3. Just because it is a short week, does not mean it wasn’t a stressful one! Kat Tancock, author of the original e-book Meditation: A Beginner’s Journey visited The Savvy Reader to share 5 Ways to Relax in 5 Minutes. Perhaps the most noteworthy advice she offers is, “Pretend you’re under a waterfall in a shampoo commercial. In a good way.” Interested? Check out the rest of the post here, and to read more of Kat’s health tips on everything from yoga to travel, check out her blog, The Healthy Traveller.
4. The blog tour for The Silence of Bonaventure Arrow starts this Monday! This tale by Rita Leganski—also a favourite among the staff at both The Savvy Reader and HarperCollinsCanada—follows a young, mute boy with extraordinary hearing abilities as he uncovers the secrets behind a murder that will heal the souls of those he holds dear. Next week, five Canadian bloggers will share their thoughts of this beautiful book. Check out the schedule here! Have you started reading The Silence of Bonaventure Arrow yet?
5. Finally, you know those times when you finish the most amazing story? You softly close the book, immediately mourn the loss of the world you’ve left behind and you think—man, I wish I lived in a world made of books… No, just me? Well, in any case this article from Book Riot gives a pretty good idea of what that might look like! Check it out here!
Thanks for checking out this week’s Bookmarks. Happy Reading!