Traveling soon? Below are 20 Tips from Heather Poole, a real-life flight attendant and author of Cruising Attitude, an insider’s look at life in the sky, on sale March 6th.
1. Always bring a sweater / hoodie on the plane. Airplanes are like movie theaters. They’re freezing!
2. Airplane mode is not off! Bring a magazine to read during takeoff and landing! I’m talking to you Kindle people!
3. Wear running shoes in case you have to run from the airport bar to the gate. Flips flops and heels will only slow you down
4. Remember you can bring food through security. Bring leftovers! Share with the crew! More water / wine for you!
5. The airplane is the perfect place to let kids watch movies & play video games THE ENTIRE flight. Just bring headphones
6. Ladies: leave the jewelry in your carry-on bag. Put it on AFTER you go through security. Do the same with your belt
7. Let it go! You can’t control delays and getting all stressed out about it will only ruin your trip.
8. Buy water! We never have enough on board for everyone. You’ll be glad you have it if your flight diverts. IT HAPPENS!
9. Eat something! Even if you’re not hungry. Calories don’t count at the airport. Plus you never know when you’re going to eat again.
10. A long line of frequent fliers (think single passengers holding computers) will go 10 X’s faster than a line with a family with a new baby in it!
11. Airlines do NOT hold planes for connecting passengers. Unless there are 20 of you going to same place. Get to know your neighbors
12. Record the sound of the overhead bins being shut. You never know when you might need to prove you’re on a plane
13. A real frequent flier knows to check the inbound flight when checking to see if their flight is delayed.
14. Always check the monitors even if you know your gate number. Sometimes gates change!
15. FYI: Anything under $500 roundtrip is cheap! Especially during the holidays.
16. Offer to buy passengers a drink in flight if they switch seats with you. It’s just a nice thing to do. Only half will take you up on it.
17. Book trips the first week of January! Everyone is broke after the holidays. Empty flights = cheap flights.
18. Traveling ANYWHERE in September is great. Kids are back in school, tickets are cheap & weather is still nice.
19. Last flight out always has empty seats because everyone tries to get on earlier flights. More aisle seats / upgrades available!
20. Use your time wisely. Delays are the perfect time to call your mother. She’ll be glad you did.
— Heather Poole
Be sure to check out Cruising Attitude when it goes on sale March 6th!